Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nanny's Educational Zoo







Today we went to Nanny's Educational Zoo with MOTG (moms group). I don't think that you were all that interested in being there. In fact, I know that you really weren't that thrilled to be there. For some reason, you were afraid that all the the animals (all of which were babies) were going to bite you. However, Mommy had a good time and actually learned a lot from it. I never really knew that the animal cruelty law protected only cats and dogs and not farm animals. I learned today that farmers have the right to kill any animal that they see fit. So many baby male goats, pigs, horses, etc. typically end up being shot just after birth because they are not considered to be productive in any way. Luckily, Nanny (the owner of the farm) rescues these babies and nurses them back to health and then either adopts them out or releases them into the wild on her 5100 acre property. If you only knew how this breaks my heart, because I am such an animal lover. This women helps all of these animals and does field trips, parties, and the cost is free but a donation to the center is appreciated to help fund the cost of medicine and supplies to care for them.

I had fun none the less, we were able to see a donkey, potbelly pigs, ducks, goats, calves just 9 days old (so adorable by the way), a 3 month old raccoon that was as sweet and playful as can be. Speaking of the raccoon, apparently, they are VERY clean animals, they will wash every piece of food in water before eating it. Kind of odd since you see them digging in the trash all the time. We also saw a turkey, geese, bunnies, ball python, guinea pigs, and love birds (not so friendly). Maybe if we were to go back you will hopefully enjoy it because Mommy sure did.



No comments: